The India Music and Dance Society
A Grand Carnatic Flute Recital by
Sangeetha Kalanidhi Dr. N. Ramani
Srikant Venkataraman - Violin
Srimushnam Raja Rao - Mridangam
Date: Saturday, April 4, 1998
Time: 6:30 pm
Place: Paxon Hollow Middle School Auditorium, Broomall, Pa.
Admission: - Members $12.00 Non-members $15.00 Students $5.00
Season passes are available for $50.00 for any 5 concerts per member through the year !
Avail of the discounted price !!!
For tickets and further information, please contact:
Sudhakar Rao Prabhakar Chitrapu Usha Balasubramanian
(610) 277-1607 (215) 616-0486 (215) 699-2827
Vasanthi Raghavan A. Srinivasa Reddy Santi Kanumalla N.V.Raman
(215) 345-7698 (215) 576-1392 (610) 277-8955 (302) 421-9392
This concert is supported in part by grants from
Corestates Bank, Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, Stockton-Rush Bartol Foundation and
Philadelphia Music Project (administered by Settlement School & funded by Pew Charitable Trusts).
Dr. Natesan Ramani is undoubtedly the topmost Flute maestro in Carnatic Music today. He has been in the field for over 50 years and the most prestigious honor of the title Sangeetha Kalanidhi was conferred on him by the Music Academy, Chennai in 1996 as a climax to his illustrious career. He is a fitting heir to the legendary Mali, Sri T.R.Mahalingam, who was his prime guru. Ramani gave his first public concert at the age of seven and over the last five decades he has performed in almost every corner of the world. Numerous titles and honors were conferred on him including the Padmasri title by the President of India. He has been appointed as Asthana Vidwan of Kanchi and Sringeri Peethams and Tirupathi Devasthanam. Many cultural organizations in India and abroad have honored him with titles and awards. He is very proficient in Hindusthani Music also, having pioneered the playing of Bansuri Flute in Carnatic Music Concerts. He has performed in Jugalbandhis with leading Hindusthani Artistes. Dr.Ramani brings to the stage over five decades of experience and superb music, keeping the audiences spellbound for hours. He is a consummate professional making each of his concerts a memorable experience every time.
Srikant Venkataraman is a young violinist from Chicago. He has had training in violin from Maestro T.N.Krishnan and has blossomed into a full-fledged violinist through rigorous training and playing for many stalwarts of Carnatic Music both in North America and in India.
Srimushnam Raja Rao has an illustrious musical heritage. His father, grandfather and great-grandfather were accomplished musicians. Sri Raja Rao had his initial training in mridangam from his father and further training under the famous Kumbakonam Sri M. Rajappa Iyer. He has accompanied all the leading Carnatic musicians in India and several foreign countries.
Directions to Paxon Hollow Middle School, Broomall, Pa.
(1) From the Blue Route (I-476) going South, , take exit 4, take the left fork on the ramp, stay in the middle lane and make a left turn onto Rte.3 East (West Chester Pike). Go over the Blue route overpass and turn right at the first traffic light after the overpass onto Lawrence Rd. (Pathmark on your right). Follow directions in (4)
(2) From the Blue Route (I-476) going North, take exit 4, turn right at the ramp onto Rte. 3 East. At the first traffic light turn right onto Lawrence Rd. ( Pathmark on your right.) Follow directions in (4)
(3) From Philadelphia, Upper Darby areas, take Rte. 3 West to Lawrence Road (after Manoa shopping center and just before the Blue route - Haverford Mercy Hospital on your left). Turn left onto Lawrence Rd. Follow direction in (4)
(4) Lawrence Rd. ends on Rte. 320 (Sproul Rd). (Rickel's on your left). Make a right turn on to Sproul Rd., get to the left lane and turn left at the first traffic light onto Paxon Hollow Rd. The middle school is about half a mile on your left.
(5) Traveling East on West Chester Pike (Rte. 3 East), turn right onto Rte. 320 South. Travel about 2 miles to Paxon Hollow Rd. (Commerce Bank on your right). Turn right onto Paxon Hollow Rd. The middle school is about half a mile on your left.
(6) Traveling North on Rte. 320 about 2 miles after intersection with Rte 1, go past Kmart and Lawrence Park shopping center on your right, get to the left lane, turn left onto Paxon Hollow Rd. (Commerce Bank just ahead of you on the left). The middle school is about half a mile on your left.